New Java Buildpacks on cloudControl: Grails, Scala, and More
Java is one of the most popular languages used by developers on the cloudControl platform. Buildpacks are at the core of the cloudControl platform and they allow a PaaS like cloudControl to support various different runtimes.
Today, we are happy to announce official support for several new buildpacks for the Java JVM: Clojure, Gradle, Grails, Scala, and Play! This post goes over some of the core features of these buildpacks and provides you with insight on how to get started.
What awesome things can I do with these buildpacks?
The new Java buildpacks bring several new capabilities to the JVM, but these are some of the things these buildpacks are great for:
- With Clojure, you can write your application in a functional programming language that runs on the Java JVM. This makes it easier to implement multi-threaded applications.
- With Grails, you get a full stack, web application framework for Java. The focus is to provide a productive and streamlined development experience by embracing the “coding by convention” paradigm.
- Gradle uses a build-by-convention approach for your Java projects by introducing pre-defined project layouts with sensible defaults. This enables your development teams to quickly customize everything and create your own organization-wide standards so builds can scale without complexity.
- With the Scala buildpack for Java, object-oriented meets functional. You can construct elegant class hierarchies in Java for maximum code reuse and more extensibility.
- Play! makes it easy to build lightweight and stateless web applications using Java. By providing predictable and minimal resource consumption, Play! is a framework of choice when building highly scalable web applications.
What does official support mean?
The availability of new buildpacks for Java means that you can now run different kinds of JVM-based applications on cloudControl: Pure Java, Grails-based, Scala, and Play! framework applications. By officially supporting these new buildpacks, we make sure that the code is safe, functional, and up-to-date. In addition to the resources available in our dev center to get you started, official support also means we offer our customers expert support for any questions and issues related to these buildpacks.
How do I specify which Java buildpack to use?
You don’t have to. Due to the diversity of JVM-based applications and the mix of languages used, we created an auto-detect mechanism for Java buildpacks on cloudControl. This means that you simply have to push your Java application, and the platform automatically determines which buildpack to use. We designed this to work “out of the box”, so just give it a try!
How can I get started?
Getting started with the new Java cloudControl buildpacks is easy. Sign up for a free account on cloudControl today and take a look at the Java quickstart guides. We love to hear your feedback, so let us know what you think in the comments. We look forward to seeing the cool Java apps you build. Happy Coding!